Update 9/12/2019: I exited my short iron condor on IWM after the share price exceeded the upper breakeven point, moving into unprofitability so far that, at the rate of change at that time, it would take a day and a half to return to profitability. By my rules, that’s when I exit. Shares were priced at $157.32 at exit, up $10.73 from the entry price, and the options positions produced a $3.28 debit, down $1.38 from the entry credit.
The IWM share price began to rise the day after I entered the position, and continued to rise for four of the next six trading days, finally breaking into unprofitability on the sixth day. The implied volatility rank declined by 18.2 during the holding period to 25.0%
Shares rose by 7.3% over nine days, or a +297 annual rate. The options position produced a -42.1% loss for a -1,706% annual rate.
I have entered a short iron condor spread on IWM, using options that trade for the last time 45 days hence, on October 18. The premium is a $1.90 credit and the stock at the time of entry was priced at $146.59.
The profit zone for this position is between $156.91 on the upside and $126.91 on the downside.
The implied volatility rank (IVR) stands at 41.3.
The premium is 22.4% of the width of the position’s wings.
The profit zone covers a 7.0% move to the upside and a 15.5% move to the downside of the entry price, for total coverage of 22.5%
The risk/reward ratio is 3.5:1, with maximum risk of $660 and maximum reward of $190 per contract.
By Tim Bovee, Portland, Oregon, September 3, 2019
Tim Bovee, Private Trader tracks the analysis and trades of a private trader for his own accounts. Nothing in this blog constitutes a recommendation to buy or sell stocks, options or any other financial instrument. The only purpose of this blog is to provide education and entertainment.
No trader is ever 100 percent successful in his or her trades. Trading in the stock and option markets is risky and uncertain. Each trader must make trading decisions for his or her own account, and take responsibility for the consequences.
All content on Tim Bovee, Private Trader by Timothy K. Bovee is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at www.timbovee.com.