10:20 a.m. New York time
I’ve posted results of today’s exit from my SPY options position.
9:45 a.m. New York time
I have exited my short bear call spreads on SPY for 54% of maximum potential profit and shall update the entry analysis shortly with results.
9:35 a.m. New York time
What’s happening now? The S&P 500 E-mini futures continue in their downtrend, which began June 8 at 3231.25. The low so far is 2923.75 this morning before the opening bell.
What does it mean? The meaning at this point is a question: Is the decline nearing an end? How I manage my present options and stock positions depend upon the how that question is answered.

What does Elliott wave theory say? By my count, the index is in Minor wave 5 of Intermediate wave 1 to the downside. Once Intermediate 1 is complete, the next move will be an upward correction, Intermediate wave 2, most likely a zig-zag that could retrace a significant portion of the decline from June 8. All of this is happening within Primary wave 3 to the downside.
Intermediate 1 within Primary wave 3 has so far declined by 9.5% since it began on June 8. Its counterpart, within Primary wave 1, began February 19 and declined by 16%. There’s no rule on how long a 5th wave must be. Minor wave 5 could be nearing completion in the next few days. It could have ended at this morning’s low. It has met all of the requirements of form described in Elliott wave theory.
What is the alternative? … or, Minor wave 5 could extend and cover more ground to the downside before it reverses. There’s no way to tell at this point. And a lot is at stake.
What about my trades? For my short bear call spread options on SPY, the cautious approach counsels exiting now or buying insurance, in the form of a bull put spread, rather than hanging on in the hope of greater profit. Yet, if Minor wave 5 extends downward, I’m leaving a lot of potential profit on the table.
The next wave up, a 2nd wave of Intermediate degree, could retrace as much as 90% of the 1st wave of Intermediate degree, pushing the price back up to the 3100s or the 3200s, with no guarantee of how long it would take for the price to get back down to the 2900s where it is today. Intermediate wave 2 within Primary wave 1 lasted four days, but that came after a particularly energetic decline. I would be surprised if Intermediate 2’s counterpart in the present Primary wave 3 took such a short time.
Basically, it’s a matter of timing. If I exit then I can re-enter with an August expiration at the start of Intermediate wave 3.
My share holdings in SDS have no expiration, of course, so I’ll continue to hold the shares for now.
Read More »
You must be logged in to post a comment.